Monday, January 3, 2011

Just gonna be transparent here

I'm in the process of falling in love with God. That statement may sound odd and a bit confusing, because it was for me when I first thought about it. Before anyone worries, I am a Christian. I whole-heartedly believe that Jesus Christ died to save us all from sin and that without him, we would be nothing. So here's where falling in love comes in. Heather (my wife... who's hawt) and I were talking one night after a bible study she attended:

"How did it go?"
"Good. Found out I don't love God, but good."

We began to talk about what it means to really, truly, and unconditionally love God. And as the time has passed, I have begun to try and really seek out what it means to say "I love God." The passage where Jesus asks Peter "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" (John 21:15) comes to mind. Peter's response is "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Here's where I steal some info from Mr. Dan Reeves.

In the Greek, the word Jesus uses for "love" is a word that means unconditional love:  agapeo. Peter responds with a yes, however, the word he uses for "love" is one meaning brotherly love: phileo. This is not an uncondtional love. I think it's how most of us would respond, if we're honest.

"Yes, God, I love you, but it's finals week and I'm really busy. Plus, I'm so tired and my girlfriend and I are fighting, but I really meant to read my bible the other day, because I know how much that would mean to you."

Do we care about the will of God and HIS glory above all else? Are we truly concerned that above all else... that God be glorified? Can I be ok with knowing that in Heaven, I won't be married to Heather?(Matt. 22) Are we truly willing to share in Christ's suffering as described by Paul thoughout the New Testament.

Take a look at India. Or China. Or many of the nations overseas. When a person there says that they're a Christian, they know very well that that means they could very likely die. The idea of simply going to a church, sitting in our assigned seats, mumbling along with the song and texting during the public reading of scripture, and going home to get ready for "Grey's Night!" is absolutely absurd to them! Yet we (at least I) have gotten all to comfortable with looking our God straight in the eye and saying "I love you... too a point." Now, I don't know about you, but I'm not cool with that anymore. I can't continue to get up every day, putting on my Christian mask and go about my day failing to realize that the God of the universe... loves me. Unconditionally. No terms. No 2-year plan or dropped calls. God loves me. God loves you. And I want to love him back.

No comments:

Post a Comment